November is Bladder Health Awareness Month!
In November, we spotlight bladder health on a global scale. Let's ensure everyone's bladder health gets the attention it deserves. Stay healthy with these bladder health tips!
Bladder Health Tips:
Let's talk about the bladder- the unsung hero in our bodies! The bladder is an often overlooked, yet essential part of the urinary system. This trusty storage unit stores urine until it is time to empty, a function often taken for granted. Bladder problems are common, including leakage of urine, bladder infections, and bladder pain. These can usually arise after pregnancy and childbirth, hormonal changes like menopause, and natural aging. It is important that we keep the bladder in its best condition to allow you to live life to the fullest.
Here are some tips to keep your bladder healthy:
- The first tip is to stay hydrated, but go easy on caffeine and alcohol, which can irritate the bladder. Drink about 6-8 glasses or 1.5 liters of fluid a day.
- Give the pelvic floor muscles a good workout regularly.
- Don’t forget your fiber so that your bowels are moving smoothly, which helps with bladder emptying as well.
- Maintaining a healthy weight is another helpful strategy to minimize undue pressure on the bladder.
- Avoiding smoking will help in reducing chronic cough and strain on the bladder.
- Finally, be proactive and seek early professional guidance when problems arise.
Want to learn more about bladder care? There are hundreds of resources on wwww.yourpelvicfloor.org
Interested in learning how to provide better bladder care? Register for the upcoming James Malone-Lee Christmas Lecture Series 2023 on December 11 at 2 PM UTC.