We are no longer accepting applications for the 2020 Research Grants. The cycle for the 2021 IUGA Research Grants is scheduled to open in the first quarter of 2021.
The IUGA offers both Basic Science and Clinical Research Grants to fund original research by an IUGA member or trainee. The research grants are designed to fund development of the proposed research project including all materials and testing, statistical analyses, and services required to complete the research.
The grant cycle opens in the spring and typically closes prior to the Annual Meeting. All submitted applications will be reviewed, scored, and commented upon by members of the IUGA Research and Development Committee. Applicants will be notified of the outcome via email. Award recipients will be announced to the membership via email and recipient names will be included on the IUGA website.
"Support from the IUGA clinical research grant made it possible to carry out our study on higher neural changes in women treated with oral medication for overactive bladder. Funding was required to carry out functional neuroimaging in our study protocol, which the IUGA grant has made possible. Results from this study will be of great value to many different medical communities (primary care, urology, urogynecology, neurology, etc.) who treat overactive bladder with oral medication."
-Rachel High, 2019 IUGA Research Grant Recipient
Two grants will be awarded:
- USD 10,000 for a clinical patient-oriented research project
- USD 10,000 for a laboratory-based/basic science research project
The initial USD 5,000 payment will be made upon award of the grant, and the remaining USD 5,000 will be paid upon receipt and review of the 6-month Interim Report. Ethical approval must be received, if applicable, by the IUGA Office before any funds will be released. Grants will only be paid to an institution and not to an individual.
- Any IUGA member in good standing is eligible to apply for the grant program.
- Applicant must remain at the same institution for the entire funding period.
Required Application Documents
- Application (download form here)
- Structured Abstract (limit 200 words)
- Proposed start and finish dates
- Background Review (do not include institution name as applications are blindly reviewed)
- Describe the sponsoring institution
- List previous research activities and accomplishments, especially as they relate to the proposed research project or your ability to complete the proposed research project.
- Describe the goals and objectives of previous research as it relates to the proposed research project, as this provides a context for the work you plan to undertake.
- Describe the service areas and populations served. Include a description of laboratory facilities, if applicable.
- Research Protocol
- Specific aims
- Ethics and Patient Consent (if applicable)
- Ethics and Animal Studies (if applicable)
- References (limit to 20)
- Please indicate how the funds will be allocated in detail, in US dollars.
- If the study is being funded by another source, this must be disclosed in the budget section, as well as on the Application.
- Salaries for the Principal Investigator(s) and any co-investigator(s) are not supported.
- Funding may include statistical analyses, tech support (i.e. sonographer), laboratory studies, diagnostic studies (i.e. post-treatment urodynamics), mailing and postage for questionnaires or other related material, and patient vouchers for transportation, meals, etc.
- Funding will not include travel, computer, meeting fees and related expenses, equipment, manuscript preparation costs, indirect costs such as university overhead or IRB fees.
- Evaluation Criteria and Progress
- Describe what measures will be used to evaluate the progress of the research study.
- Describe what records and information will be maintained to allow measurement of progress.
- Has this research application been reviewed/had input from patient representatives?
- IRB Approval (if applicable)
- Provide a copy of the IRB approval letter. If IRB approval is pending at the time of application submission, indicate the status of the IRB approval and an approximate date of approval. If approved, please include the IRB approval number. If exempt, please explain.
- Appendices (if applicable)
- Include any data collection forms, questionnaires, or other study-related materials.
- Flowchart of study with timelines if possible.
- Supporting Documentation
- Provide at least two (2) letters of Support from the department/institution head and collaborators, such as those individuals supplying patient referrals.
- A brief CV limited to 2 pages with only relevant information included.
Award recipients are required to disclose if/when additional funding is received from another source for the same project. If recipient receives duplicate funding for the same project after receiving funding from IUGA, the recipient may be required to return the excess amount to IUGA, up to the maximum amount of the IUGA award.
Presentation & Publication
Grant recipients are required to submit an abstract of their completed research study for presentation at the following IUGA Annual Meeting, and to submit a completed manuscript for publication to the International Urogynecology Journal. All publications and presentations must acknowledge funding from IUGA via an IUGA Research Grant.